Please join us for the inaugural UB Department of Geology Alumni Day on Friday, February 2, 2018 in conjunction with our annual Rock Trot in Delaware Park on Saturday, February 3. This weekend is a very social one for the department, and alumni are welcome to join the fun!
The Alumni Day will feature our annual Groundhog Day BBQ
(including Ridge Lea Larry), along with lab tours, career
development sessions with students and a poster session with
students and faculty. The afternoon will include short
presentations from some of our recent faculty additions, some of
whom are conducting exciting research in paleoclimate, geological
hazards, tectonics and environmental characterization.
Saturday will start off with the Rock Trot in Delaware Park, where participants run, walk or stumble through an easy course, regardless of weather. Our Winter Party, organized by the Geology student clubs, will take place on Saturday evening at the Pearl Street Grill & Brewery in downtown Buffalo. The whole department and our alumni gather for food, music, raffles and good conversation (and, of course, local beer).
We hope you can make it to UB Department of Geology Alumni Day! Please RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, February 2
11 a.m. - 12 p.m. Cooke 435
• Dino Zack career development session with graduate students, alumni are welcome to participate
• Lab tour
12 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
• Groundhog Day BBQ
1 p.m. - 2 p.m. Cooke 434
• Dino Zack career development session with undergraduate students (other alumni can join)
2 p.m. - 3 p.m. Cooke 434
• Department overview by Professor Csatho followed by ten minute research presentations from early career faculty members:
• Estelle Chaussard - Geohazards
• Elizabeth Thomas - Climate studies
• Erasmus Oware - Environmental research
• Margaret Jadamec - Computational geodynamics/tectonics
3 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
• Open discussion and break
3:30 p.m. - 5 p.m.
• Poster session with graduate and undergraduate students
Saturday, February 3
• Rock Trot at Delaware Park, regardless of weather
6:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
• UB Department of Geology Winter Party at Pearl Street Grill & Brewery
Help keep Geology out of the dark ages! The UB Department of Geology is one of the fastest growing geology departments in the nation. Undergraduate enrollment has doubled since 1990, and faculty research has attracted students from all over the world. Our alumni are successful in their careers, and work in a variety of fields as educators, scientists, and consultants. Please consider assisting us in continuing this important work today!
Your donation to UB Geology provides the next generation of geoscientists with the opportunity to study geology through real world experience, using the latest technology to help advance the field and further our reputation as one of the leading schools in the discipline.
We are honored to accept donations that go towards facilitating education and progress via research, academia, and achievement. Donations to UB Geology, whatever the amount, are very much appreciated and endlessly valuable. Our students, faculty, researchers, and staff all thank you for your support!