Step 1: Think of a major that will be personally fulfilling, cohesive and academically sound.
Step 2: Define the major.
- What is its academic purpose?
- What curricular resources might best support your major?
- What is the major's goal?
- Write a draft of your Statement of Intent.
Step 3: Find faculty sponsors.
- Every special major must be sponsored by two faculty sponsors/mentors.
- If you need help finding sponsors, consult your academic advisor.
Step 4: Consult with your sponsors and the Special Major advisor.
- Show them your Statement of Intent and solicit their feedback.
- Identify coursework that will support your major.
Step 5: Structure the major curriculum, choosing from among:
- The existing UB course schedule
- Transfer coursework
- Independent Study research projects with faculty members
- Study Abroad
Step 6: Complete the Proposal Application.
- The proposal must be submitted to the Special Major advisor at least two weeks prior to a committee meeting.
Step 7: Revise the proposal, if necessary, based on feedback from the committee.
- Work with the Special Major advisor and your faculty mentors.
- Resubmit the revised proposal.
Step 8: Complete the courses and programs as outlined in your approved proposal.
- Continue to interact with the Special Major advisor to plan your class schedule each term.
- If required courses or programs are not available as you are completing your requirements, propose changes to your curriculum in consultation with the Special Majors advisor.