Office: 88 Biomedical Education Building
Office Phone: 716.829.2797 x 506
Disorders of adults and children, laryngectomy, voice, aphasia, neurological disorders.
Education / Training:
- BA, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1971
- MS, University of Wisconsin, 1972
Employment / Professional Experience:
- Speech-Language Pathologist, Buffalo Hearing and Speech, Buffalo, NY, 1972-1974
- Speech-Language Pathologist, Visiting Nursing Association, Buffalo, NY, 1972-1974
- Private Practice, 1973-Present
- Clinical Supervisor, Clinical Assistant Professor, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, 1974-Present
- Consultant to Amherst Health Care Center, Amherst, NY, Spring 1976- 2002
- Consultant to St. Joseph Hospital, Cheektowaga, NY, 1976-Present
- Consultant to Presbyterian Home, Buffalo, NY, 1977-5/1981
- Coordinator, External clinical practicum in speech and language, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, 1978-Present
- Consultant to Catherine McAuley Manor, Kenmore, NY, 5/78-3/93
- Consultant to Williamsville Manor Nursing Home, Williamsville, NY, 1/79-5/81
- Consultant to Niagara Geriatric Nursing Home, Niagara Falls, NY, 2/79-1/90
- Consultant to Buffalo Medical Group, Dept. of ENT, 3/94-Present
- Consultant to Delaware Medical Group, Buffalo, NY, 1980-3/94
- Consultant for Speech-Language Pathology Services, Dept. of Otolaryngology, Buffalo General Hospital, 6/87-Present
- Member of Steering Committee and Consultant/Member of the Craniofacial Center of Western New York, 6/87-95
- Appointed as Speech-Language Pathologist to the Clinical Staff of the J. Sutton Regan Cleft Palate Clinic, 11/4/87
- Consultant to Hamburg Health Care Center, Inc., Hamburg, NY, 12/87-8/93
- Consultant to Maplewood Health Care Center, Inc., Cheektowaga, NY, 6/91-3/95
- Consultant to Head and Neck Center, Sister's Hospital through the Department of Communicative Disorders and Sciences, 9/99-present
Professional Honors/ Advisory and Editorial Boards:
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude, SUNY Buffalo, 1971
- Elected Member of Phi Beta Kappa, SUNY Buffalo, 1971
- American Speech-Language and Hearing Association Certificate of Clinical Competence, 1973
- New York State Licensed as Speech-Language Pathologist, 1977
- Member of Junior League of Women of Buffalo, 3/81-1986
- Received ASHA Award for Continuing Education, 10/83, 10/86, 10/89, 5/92, 3/02, 3/06
- Received funding from the Conference in the Disciplines, SUNYAB, for support of an interdisciplinary conference, "Assessment and Treatment of Craniofacial Anomalies", held at UB 2/22-2/23/90. Submitted by L.A. Holt and D.H. Ritter-Schmidt.
Research and Creative Activities:
Sussman, J., Holt, L., Stone, R., and Ritter- Schmidt, D. H. (1992). "Speech and Language Treatment Issues," Craniofacial Anomalies, Mosby-Year Book, Inc..
Brodsky, L, Holt, L., and Ritter- Schmidt, D. H. (1992). "Craniofacial Anomalies: An Interdisciplinary Approach." Mosby-Year Book, Inc.
Duguay, M. J., and Ritter, D. H. (1985). "Voice Problems: Questions and Answers for Persons with Voice Disorders." The Interstate Printers & Publishers, Inc.
Ritter, D. H. (1985). "On the Go in Buffalo: A Family Guide to the Buffalo and Metropolitan Area." Junior League of Buffalo.
- CDS 594: Practicum
- CDS 595: Practicum