Kerry Ring, originally from Buffalo, New York, is an educator, choreographer, and director. She earned her BFA in dance from the University of New Mexico and her MFA in choreography and dance performance from Mills College in Oakland, California. She has performed as a company member with the Nevada Dance Theatre, Delta Festival Ballet, the Santa Fe Opera, Bill Evans Dance Company, and Molissa Fenley and Dancers. She trained in the Cecchetti Method under the direction of Norma Gelose and studied at the Joffrey Ballet School, as a “Young Artist” scholarship recipient for the American Dance Festival, and the Paul Taylor School. Three of Kerry’s choreographic works have been chosen for the American College Dance Association’s Gala Performance. Kerry has performed in new works by Donald McKayle, Robert Moses, Nathan Trice, Paul Matteson, and Ma Bo; and has performed historical works by Paul Taylor, Jose Limon and Anna Sokolow. She has performed locally with Elaine Gardner’s Pick of the Crop, Buffalo Contemporary Dance, Nimbus Dance, and Neglia Ballet Artists.
Kerry has successfully examined through the Cecchetti Council of America’s Grade Six both as a student and as a teacher. She has served as “core ballet faculty” for the national Dance Master’s of America organization for over 10 years. She is certified in both Hatha Yoga through the Temple of Kriya Yoga and Ultra BarreTM - a fusion of ballet barre and dance conditioning exercises. As a frequent contributor to the national magazine Dance Studio Life between 2009 -2016, her numerous articles explored the intersection of sports psychology, yogic philosophy, and dance training. Kerry teaches all levels of ballet and modern dance technique at the University at Buffalo and is Artistic Director of the Zodiaque Dance Company.
· Contributing writer for the national trade magazine Dance Studio Life for the departments: Voice of Higher Ed, On My Mind, Classroom Connection, and Thinking Outloud.
· "Smart Cycles: What dance teachers can learn from athletic training concepts."
Dance Studio Life Magazine, Volume 21, Issue 7, September 2016.
· "Dance Class Matters."
Dance Studio Life Magazine, Volume 21, Issue 6, August 2016.
· “Classroom Connection: Elevating Jumps.”
Dance Studio Life Magazine, Volume 21, Issue 3, March/April 2016.
· “Shifting Gears: How to identify and help students through training plateaus.”
Dance Studio Life Magazine, Volume 21, Issue 2, February 2016.
· Romance of Teaching - Passing on Dance. University of New Mexico September 2018.
NATIONAL CONFERENCE PRESENTATION:
· Intermediate Ballet Technique; National College Dance Festival; Kennedy Center Washington, DC June 2018.
· Dance Master's of America - Core Ballet Faculty
· Rehearsal Director/Choreographer for the Elmwood Arts Festival Youth Program 2017 - 2019
· Columns of Proof (2019), University at Buffalo, Zodiaque Dance Company, October 2019.
· Crosswise (2019) University at Buffalo, Zodiaque Dance Company, March 2019
· Hymn of the Crescent (2018) University of New Mexico Alumni Concert, September 2018, Albuquerque, New Mexico
· Fire Within (2018) University at Buffalo, Zodiaque Dance Ensemble, February 2018, Original composition and live performance by. Dr. Kevin McFadden
· Quiet Eye (2017) Represented UB at the American College Dance Association Northeast Regional Conference at Montclair State University in March 2018; CFA On-School Time Fall 2017, SUNY Senate Performance April 2018, and Cathy Wendell Showcase May 2018, and Zodiaque 45th Gala Concert November 2018.
· Sangha Joy (2017), presented at the Elmwood Arts Festival August 2017, Buffalo, NY
· Stirring Shadows (2016) Represented UB at the American College Dance Association Northeast Regional Conference at the County College of Morris March 2017; and at the Elmwood Arts Festival August 2017.
· The day I pinned you down, choreographed by Paul Matteson, at the Flickinger Theatre, Buffalo, NY (May 2017) and Elmwood Arts Festival (August 2017).
· Artistic Director of University at Buffalo's Zodiaque Dance Company since 2016. In addition to the our full concerts in the spring and fall in the Center for the Arts Drama Theatre, Zodiaque has performed for the following Community events:
· Klienhan's Music Hall (October 2019), Community Spotlight Performance, Buffalo, NY
· Lewiston Jazz Festival (August 2019) Lewiston, NY
· Burchfield-Penney Art Museum (April 2019) Buffalo, NY
· Lumagination (February 2019) Erie County Botantical Gardens
· Starring Buffalo (November 2018) Rockwell Hall, Buffalo, NY
· Amherst Bicentennial Celebration (September 2018) Amherst, NY
· School Time Performance (March 2017), University at Buffalo Drama Theatre