The following sequence of activities are recommended as a path toward graduation.
1. Acceptance in the Ph.D. program. Interim advisor is assigned if necessary.
2. Selection of a major advisor and Doctoral Committee (during first semester).
3. Develop a plan of study and schedule of relevant coursework. The plan of study form should be filled out and placed on file in the department (end of first semester)
4. Completion and presentation of First Year Project (end of second semester)
1. Completion and presentation of a pre-dissertation project/proposal (end of 4th semester)
1. Selection of the Dissertation Committee for the dissertation proposal
2. Completion and presentation of a dissertation proposal
3. File for candidacy
4. Completion of dissertation
5. Dissertation defense