How to Apply

Undergraduate Admissions Graduate Admissions

We welcome your application and hope you can join our community of scholars!

Incoming Students: Apply to the University at Buffalo

Incoming freshman or undergraduate transfer applicants who are interested in pursuing study in the Department of Africana and American Studies must first apply and be accepted to the University at Buffalo.

When applying, you should indicate your intended major on the application form. All relevant information, including admissions criteria, the online application, dates and deadlines, and standardized test score requirements, can be found by visiting UB Undergraduate Admissions.

Current Students: Request to Change to a Major or Minor

To change your major to African-American Studies or American Studies, or the minor in African-American Studies, American Studies or Latina/o Studies, please complete the CAS Major/Minor Change Request form.

Submit the CAS Major/Minor Change Request form to request one of the following changes to your academic plan:

  • Add a major, minor, or certificate in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Drop any major
  • Drop any minor


Please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies with questions about the declaration process.