- PhD, Vanderbilt University (2015)
- Certificate in Latin American and Caribbean Studies, University of South Florida (2010)
- MA, University of South Florida (2009)
- BA, University of North Florida (2006)
Andrea Pitts (they/them/elle en español) is an interdisciplinary researcher and educator whose publications and pedagogy focus on carceral medicine and radical health activism, Latin American and U.S. Latina/x feminisms, prison and police abolition, queer migration studies, critical transgender politics, and disability justice. Andrea is also a section editor for Philosophy Compass, and co-organizes, along with Perry Zurn, the Trans Philosophy Project, a professional and research initiative dedicated to supporting trans, nonbinary, and gender variant philosophers. Their current book project Latina/x Abolitionist Feminisms: Incarceration, Agency, and Coalitional Politics examines the philosophical contributions made by U.S Latina/x activists and scholars critiquing state violence, prisons, and policing from the 1960s to the early 2000s.
Latin American and U.S. Latinx feminisms, critical prison studies, radical health activism, queer of color critique, transgender studies, and disability justice
- “An ‘Extension of the Occupier’s Hold’: Frantz Fanon on Psychiatry, Carcerality, and Etiology,” Chiasmi International 24 (2023): 293-310.
- “Dismantling Structural Racism in the Academic Residency Clinic,” coauthored with Rahul Vanjani and Pranav Aurora, New England Journal of Medicine 386, no. 21 (2022): 2054-2058.
- “Gloria E. Anzaldúa and Crip Futurity in the Americas,” Disability and American Philosophies, edited by Daniel Brunson and Nate Jackson, 138-158. New York: Routledge, 2022.
- Nos/Otras: Gloria E. Anzaldúa, Multiplicitous Agency, and Resistance. Albany: SUNY Press, 2021.
- “Challenging the Carceral Imaginary in a Digital Age: Epistemic Asymmetries and the Right to Be Forgotten,” Las Torres de Lucca: International Journal of Political
Philosophy 19 (2021): 1-18.
Selected Interviews and Videos:
- 2022, “Shelley Tremain Interviews Andrea Pitts,” Dialogues on Disability, May 18, 2022. BiopoliticalPhilosophy.com. https://biopoliticalphilosophy.com/2022/05/18/dialogues-on-disability-shelley-tremain-interviews-andrea-pitts/.
- 2022, "Movement, Militarisation, and Monetisation: Examining Migration through a Disability Justice Framework," Philosophy, Disability, and Social Change 2 Conference, University of Oxford. https://youtu.be/9P-6r64QxBU.
- 2022, “Andrea Pitts on Nos/Otras: Gloria E. Anzaldúa, Multiplicitous Agency, and Resistance,” Conversations in Atlantic Theory, podcast interview with John Drabinksi. https://atlantictheory.org/e20/.
- 2021, "The Philosophy of María Lugones Meets Transgender Studies: A Complex Conversation," Talia Mae Bettcher, PJ DiPietro, Hil Malatino, and Andrea J. Pitts, https://youtu.be/0p3yTmpFytk.
- 2021, “Andrea J. Pitts, Nos/Otras: Gloria E. Anzaldúa, Multiplicitous Agency, and Resistance,” New Books in Philosophy, podcast interview with Sarah Tyson. https://newbooksnetwork.com/nos-otras-gloria-e-anzald%C3%BAa-multiplicitous-agency-and-resistance.