Prof. Hendricks’ directs the UB Language Learning Lab which conducts research on language acquisition in school-age children with and without language impairments such as Developmental Language Disorder. Prof. Hendricks’ research focuses on how children learn language from the input they hear, with a particular focus on how children who are exposed to different quantities and types of input acquire language. Her work primarily focuses on the acquisition of grammatical structures and how sociolinguistic factors and differences in language ability interact in language acquisition. The goal of this research is to better understand the underlying process of language acquisition as well as to improve the identification of Developmental Language Disorder in children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Duff, D. M., Hendricks, A. E., Fitton, L., & Adlof, S. M. (2022). Reading and math achievement in children with dyslexia, developmental language disorder, or typical development: Achievement gaps persist from second through fourth grades. Journal of Learning Disabilities, Doi: 00222194221105515.
- Hendricks, A.E. & Jimenez, C. (2021) Teacher report of students’ dialect use and language ability. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 52, 131-138. https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_LSHSS-19-00113
- Hendricks, A. E., & Adlof, S. M. (2020). Production of morphosyntax within and across different dialects of American English. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 63, 2322-2333. https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_JSLHR-19-00244
- Hendricks, A. E., Adlof, S.M. Alonzo, C. N., Fox, A. B., & Hogan, T.P. (2019). Identifying children At risk for developmental language disorder using a brief, whole-classroom screen. Journal of Speech- Language, and Hearing Research. https://doi.org/10.1044/2018_JSLHR-L-18-0093
- Hendricks, A. E., Miller, K., & Jackson, C. N. (2018). Regularizing unpredictable variation: Evidence from a naturalistic setting. Language Learning and Development.14, 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/15475441.2017.1340842
For a list of all publications, see Google Scholar profile.