How to Apply

Jump to:

Graduate Applicants

PhD Admissions MA Admissions International Admissions

Students who wish to pursue an MA in the Department of Global Gender and Sexuality Studies must submit an online application: 

Application Deadlines

For priority consideration for Fall admission of the following year, applicants are encouraged to apply by the first Friday in February. The department will review applications on a rolling basis after the initial deadline.

Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until August 15 (for Fall entry) and January 24 (for Spring entry)

Application Instructions

Applicants must gather and submit the following materials with their online application:

  • Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
  • Personal Statement (1-2 pages)
  • Academic Writing Sample (10-15 pages)
  • Three Letters of Recommendation. As part of the application, you will be asked to identify three individuals who will submit letters on your behalf. 
  • Unofficial transcript(s) from every institution you have previously attended, to include all undergraduate or graduate coursework. (Official transcripts will be required upon admission.)
  • International students should review additional requirements for international admissions.

Note: GRE scores are NOT REQUIRED for Master's applicants.

Application Fee

The application fee is $75 (USD). You will receive instructions on how to submit payment once you complete your application. The University at Buffalo accepts eCheck, Visa, Discover and MasterCard.

Contact Us

For questions about the graduate application process, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies. 

Undergraduate Applicants

Incoming Students: Apply to the University at Buffalo

Incoming freshman or undergraduate transfer applicants who are interested in pursuing global gender and sexuality studies must first apply and be accepted to the University at Buffalo.

When applying, you should indicate your intended major on the application form. All relevant information, including admissions criteria; the online application; dates and deadlines; and standardized test score requirements, can be found by visiting UB Undergraduate Admissions.

Current Students: Request to Change to the Major or Minor

Current UB undergraduate students who are interested in majoring or minoring in Global Gender Studies must complete the CAS Major/Minor Change Request form.

Submit the CAS Major/Minor Change Request form to request one of the following changes to your academic plan:

  • Add a major, minor, or certificate in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Drop any major
  • Drop any minor

Contact Us

With questions about the application procedure or to schedule an advising appointment, please contact Marla Segol, director of undergraduate studies.