Students who wish to pursue a PhD degree in the Department of Global Gender and Sexuality Studies must create an account and submit an online application:
For priority consideration for Fall admission of the following year, applicants are encouraged to apply by the 1st of January.
Applicants must gather and submit the following materials with the online application:
- Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
- Personal Statement (1-2 pages)
- Academic Writing Sample (10-15 pages)
- Three Letters of Recommendation. As part of the application, you will be asked to identify three individuals who will submit letters on your behalf.
- Unofficial transcript(s) from every institution you have previously attended, to include all undergraduate or graduate coursework. (Official transcripts will be required upon admission.)
- Official GRE score report*
- GRE scores should be submitted to the department via ETS.org. The institution code is 2925. (Note: If other application materials are deemed strong enough to warrant admission, the Admissions Committee may waive this requirement at its sole discretion if the applicant makes a compelling case for it.)
- *For fall 2023 applications, the GRE continues to be recommended, but not mandatory.
- International students should review the International Admissions tab for additional requirements.
The application fee is $75 (USD). After you formally submit your application, you will receive additional instructions for submitting your payment through the application system. Currently, UB accepts Visa, MasterCard and Discover, and eChecks.