The Department of Music offers two bachelor's degree programs for undergraduate students. The Bachelor of Music degree in Music Performance (MusB) provides a comprehensive program of study, including music theory, music history, and instrumental and vocal performance. The Bachelor of Arts degree (BA), combined with other areas of study, prepares students for further study in music and music-related careers. The Academic Minor and Performance Minor both provide supplemental music instruction that supports a variety of career paths.
Music majors and minors may receive private instruction in all standard orchestral instruments, as well as piano, organ, harpsichord, classical guitar and voice. Instructors include faculty artists and members of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.
1. Complete the below application form
2. Students applying for the MusB in Performance or Performance Minor degrees must also request an audition date as part of this form. Please see the audition schedule for open dates. BA in Music and Academic Minor applicants need audition only if instrument or voice lessons will be a part of the degree program.
3. If necessary, schedule an audition by completing the audition request form. The form can be found on the "audition" page here
There is no fee to apply to the Department of Music's undergraduate degree tracks. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
In addition to the application, prospective students must contact two (2) people who can attest to their past academic and/or musical performance skills. Ask the individuals to submit a Letter of Recommendation* to ubMusicemail@example.com or via postal mail to:
Student Programs Office
The Department of Music
226 Baird Hall, North Campus
Buffalo, NY 14260-5030
*Please note that applications will not be reviewed until both Letters of Recommendation have been received.
Please contact Nicole Rosen, administrative assistant of Student Programs, with questions about the application process.
The Department of Music offers several degree options for graduate students. Master's-level students may pursue an MA in Composition; Combined MA/PhD in Composition; an MM in Performance (with several concentrations); an MA in Music History; or an MA in Music Theory.
Doctoral-level students may pursue a PhD in Composition or PhD in Historical Musicology and Music Theory. The department also offers an Advanced Graduate Certificate in Contemporary Performance.
1. Prospective students seeking admission to the Department of Music graduate degree tracks should first download the Graduate Admission Packet, which includes instructions and important information about the application process.
2. Use the link to access our online application system. You should begin by creating an account. Once created, you will be promoted to choose an application, select your term year and program. Please read the directions on your College of Arts and Sciences application carefully. Returning users can use this link to log in to their existing application(s).
Further information regarding Letters of Recommendation, test scores and other application requirements can be found in the Graduate Admissions Packet.
Prospective students applying for the MM in Performance degree must also complete and submit a Graduate Audition Request Form as part of their application. This form will also be available to complete as part of your application. Please see the audition schedule for open dates. To be considered for assistantship support, prospective students must audition prior to January 1.
The graduate application fee is $75 U.S. (payable online or by check or money order made payable to the University at Buffalo). Applicants who have not already done so may submit their application fee online:
Please visit the UB Graduate School or contact Nicole Rosen, administrative assistant of Student Programs, with questions about the application process.