Our generous alumni and friends have established fellowship and scholarship programs aimed at enhancing the educational experiences of our undergraduate students. These fellowships and scholarships are open to undergraduates who are majors and/or intending to major in Biological Sciences and are interested in conducting research. We strongly encourage all our students to apply.
Please contact Dr. Zhen Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org) for questions.
Applications open each spring for the following awards:
Applications are accepted throughout the year for the Joseph T. Abate, Undergraduate Travel Fellowship.
These fellowships aim to provide students entering their senior year (currently junior) with financial support in their senior year. The winners will be announced in early May. The fellowship payments will be made in August. The amount of fellowship depends on the application and available funds (often ranges from $1,000 - $2,000).
The Philip G. Miles Undergraduate Research Fellowships aim to provide UB Biological Sciences students entering their senior year (currently in junior year) with financial support to facilitate summer research between a student’s junior and senior years. The amount of each award depends on the application and available funds. The Miles Undergraduate Research Fellowship awards often range between $1,000. to $1,500. Applications open in each spring.
This fellowship aims to provide a student entering his/her junior year (currently a sophomore) with financial support to facilitate undergraduate research during the academic year. The applicant can expect two years of support, contingent upon satisfactory research progress. This fellowship will be paid in two installments annually; half in September and half the following January. The awardee will be announced in early May. The amount of fellowships depends on the application and available funds (often ranges from $1,000 - $2,000 per year).
The Joseph T. Abate, DMD, Undergraduate Travel Fellowship is intended to extend the research experiences of undergraduate students in the Department of Biological Sciences by supporting travel to a scientific conference. Students are required to present a poster or a talk at the conference. Travel-related costs are reimbursable within 30 days after the conference.
- Must be a Biological Sciences major
- Minimum GPA of 2.8
- Performing undergraduate research in a UB laboratory
- A student can only receive this fellowship once
- The student must be the poster or talk presenter
- Travel must be completed within 1 year of application
- If the student is a graduating senior, travel must be completed within 3 months of graduation
Deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year
- 1-Page cover letter describing how this conference can help achieve your professional goals
- Resume. Please include student ID#, contact information, academic history, research and work experience
- Current Academic Transcript
- Copy of conference agenda / webpage
- Poster or oral presentation abstract (<250 words)
- Itemized estimated travel budget
- Assemble the above documents in one pdf file, and submit directly to Dr. Zhen Wang (email@example.com)
- One letter of recommendation from the faculty member with whom you are conducting research (send to Dr. Zhen Wang firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. submit a copy of the poster or presentation to Dr. Zhen Wang (email@example.com)
2. Submit a copy of conference agenda to Mr. Joe Helfer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
3. Submit proof of payments for reimbursement to Mr. Joe Helfer (email@example.com)
Reimbursable items (must provide all receipts and a copy of credit/debit card statement):
- Registration fee
- Airline ticket and/or ground transportation
- Mileage, if a personal car is used
- Poster printing fee
- Allowable meals
Congratulations to our recent undergraduate research fellows, and thank you to our generous donors.