Recent and Forthcoming Publications
- Anas, Alex, Sayan De Sarkar, Maya Abou Zeid, Govinda Timilsina and Ziad Nakat, “Reducing traffic congestion in Beirut: An analysis of selected policy options,” Policy Research Working Paper 8158, August 2017, Development Research Group, Environment and Energy Team, World Bank Group, Washington, D.C.
- Anas, Alex, Sayan De Sarkar, Govinda Timilsina “The Optimal Mix of Pricing and Infrastructure Expansions to Alleviate Traffic Congestion and In-Bus Crowding in Grand Casablanca” Policy Research Working Paper 8501, June 2018, Development Research Group, Environment and Energy Team, World Bank Group, Washington, D.C.
- Anas, Alex and Tomoru Hiramatsu, “The effects of the price of gasoline on the urban economy: from route choice to general equilibrium,” Transportation Research, Part A: Policy and Practice, 46, 855-873, 2012.
- Anas, Alex “The optimal pricing, finance and supply of urban transportation in general equilibrium: A theoretical exposition,” Economics of Transportation 1, 64-76, 2012.
- Anas, Alex and Tomoru Hiramatsu, “The economics of cordon tolling: general equilibrium and welfare analysis,” Economics of Transportation, 2, 18-37, 2013.
- Anas, Alex and David Pines, “Public goods and congestion in a system of cities: how do fiscal and zoning policies improve efficiency?” Journal of Economic Geography, 4, 649-676, 2013.
- Anas, Alex “A summary of the applications to date of RELU-TRAN, a microeconomic urban computable general equilibrium model,” Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 40,6, 959-970, 2013.
- Anas, Alex “Why are urban travel times so stable?” Journal of Regional Science, 55, 2, 230-261, 2015.
- Anas, Alex and Govinda R. Timilsina, “Offsetting the CO2 locked-in by roads: Suburban transit and core densification as antidotes”, Economics of Transportation, 4, 1, 37-49, 2015.
- Anas, Alex. (accepted for publication, forthcoming). "Urban Sprawl and the Control of Land Use." In the Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Economics and Finance. Oxford University Press. doi: 10.1093/acrefore/9780190625979.013.156. May 2019.
- Anas, Alex, "Location effects of road pricing policies," Chapter 6 in Infrastructure and Land Policies, Gregory Ingram, Karin Brandt (editors) , Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, 2013.
- ”A Pedagogical Note on Multitier Pricing Scheme” (with Tai-Liang Chen), The American Economist, January 2018, pp. 1–17.
- “Brexit and Its Economic Consequences,” accepted for publication in The World Economy
- “Equilibrium Health Spending and Population Aging in a Model of Endogenous Growth: Will the GDP Share of Health Spending Keep Rising?” with Yong Yin, Journal of Human Capital, 2013, vol. 7, no. 4, December 2013.
- “Immigration, Human Capital Formation and Endogenous Economic Growth”, with Jinyoung Kim, Journal of Human Capital, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 518-563, 2015.
- “Economics of Criminal Law, Crime and Punishment” Lead article (chapter 15) of Part III: Crime and Punishment, in The Oxford Handbook of Law and Economics, Volume 3: Public Law and Legal Institutions, Francesco Parisi (ed.), Oxford University Press UK, April 2017, pp. 295-324. Online Publication Date: May 2017 DOI: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199684250.013.022
- “The Role of Immigration in Long-Run Economic Growth”, Chapters 6.5 and 6.8 (Technical Appendix) in The Economic and Fiscal Consequences of Immigration, Francisne Blau and Christopher Mackie (eds.), a Report of the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine, The National Academies press, Washington DC, 2017, pp.297-312 and 317-318.
- “Special issue in Honor of Ronald H. Coase”, Journal of Human Capital vol. 11 (3) fall 2017, 297-309.
- “The Role of Entrepreneurial Human Capital as a Driver of Endogenous Economic Growth”, with Dunli Li and Zhiqiang Liu, Journal of Human Capital, vol 11(3) fall 2017, 310-51.
- “The Problem of the Uninsured” (with Yong Yin), Research in Economics, Elsevier, Inc., Research in Economics 72 (2018) 147–168.
- “Celebrating the life and work of Gary Becker”, Journal of Human Capital, vol. 12, no.2, 173-181.
- Isaac Ehrlich, Adam Cook, and Yong Yin, “What Accounts for the US Ascendancy to Economic Superpower by the Early Twentieth Century? The Morrill Act–Human Capital Hypothesis”, Journal of Human Capital, vol. 12, no. 2, (summer issue) 233-281.
- “Was Higher Education a Major Channel through which the US Became an Economic Superpower in the 20th Century?, with AR Cook, Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, Published online: 23 Oct 2018; printed version forthcoming.
- “Out-of-Pocket Medical Expenditures in the United States: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study”, 2016. Fiscal Studies 37.3-4: 785-819. (with Kathleen McGarry and Jonathan Skinner)
- “Out-of-Pocket Spending in the Last Five Years of Life”, 2013. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 28 (2): 304-309. (with Amy Kelley et al.)
- “Women Working Longer: The Labor Market Implications of Providing Family Care,” 2018. In Women Working Longer: Increased Employment at Older Ages, Claudia Goldin and Lawrence F. Katz, Eds. University of Chicago Press. (with Kathleen McGarry)
- “International Relative Price Levels: An Empirical Analysis,” 2013. In Measuring the Real Size of the World Economy: The Framework, Methodology, and Results of the International Comparison Program—ICP. Washington, DC: World Bank. (with Charles Thomas et al.)
- “David J Smyth: An appreciation of his work.” James M. Holmes , Colin Ash , Joshy Z. Easaw, (2019). Journal of Macroeconomics, 60(1), pp. A1-8.
- “Editorial tribute to David J. Smyth, founder of the Journal of Macroeconomics”. Journal of Macroeconomics. First published version available online: 4-APR-2019. Lead Author.
- “Bayesian Analysis of Treatment Effect Models”, with J. L. Tobias, Bayesian Inference in the Social Sciences (I. Jeliazkov and X.-S. Yang, eds.), 63-90, 2014.
- “A Bayesian Analysis of Payday Loans and Their Regulation”, with K. Mumford and J. L. Tobias, Journal of Econometrics, 171(2), 205-216, 2012.
- “No Longer Left-behind: the Impact of Return Migrant Parents on Children’s Performance.” (with L. Yu and X. Zheng) China Economic Review, 49, June 2018, 184-196.
- “The Role of Entrepreneurial Human Capital as a Driver of Endogenous Economic Growth.” (with I. Ehrlich and D. Li) Journal of Human Capital, 11(3), Fall 2017, 310-351.
- “Identifying Human Capital Externality: Evidence from China.” (with Y. Liang and H. Li) Journal of Management Science and Engineering 1(1), December 2016, 75-93.
- “The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment and Human Capital on Economic Growth: Evidence from Chinese Cities.” (with Y. Su) China Economic Review 37, February 2016, 97-109.
- “Human Capital Externalities in Cities: Evidence from Chinese Manufacturing Firms.” Journal of Economic Geography, 14(3), May 2014, 621-649.
- “Human Capital in China, 1985-2008.” (with H. Li, Y. Liang, B. Fraumeni, and X. Wang) Review of Income and Wealth, 59(2), June 2013, 212-234.
- “Individual Well-being in Urban China: the Role of Income Expectations.” (with Q. Shang) China Economic Review 23(4), December 2012, 833-849.
Mclaughlin, Joanne Song
- Barkowski, Scott, Joanne Song McLaughlin. “In Sickness and In Health: Interaction Effects of State and Federal Health Insurance Coverage Mandates on Marriage of Young Adults.” January 2020 Accepted at Journal of Human Resources.
- Barkowski, Scott, Joanne Song McLaughlin, Alex Ray*. “A Reevaluation of the Effects of State and ACA Dependent Coverage Mandates on Health Insurance Coverage.” December 2019 Accepted at Journal of Policy Analysis and Management.
- McLaughlin, Joanne Song and David Neumark. 2018. “Barriers to Later Retirement for Men: Increases in the Full Retirement Age and the Physical Challenges of Work.” Research on Aging 40(3): 232-256.
- McLaughlin, Joanne Song. 2017. “Does Communist Party Membership Pay? Estimating the Economic Returns to Party membership in the Labor Market in China.” Journal of Comparative Economics 45(4): 963-983.
- Neumark, David, Joanne Song, and Patrick Button. 2017. “Does Protecting Older Workers from Discrimination Make It Harder to Get Hired? Evidence from Disability Discrimination Laws.” Research on Aging 39(1): 29-63.
- Neumark, David and Joanne Song. 2013. “Do Stronger Age Discrimination Laws Make Social Security Reforms More Effective?” Journal of Public Economics 108(December): 1-16.
- McLaughlin, Joanne Song. 2019. “Limited Legal Recourse for Older Women’s Intersectional Discrimination Under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.” The Elder Law Journal 26(2): 287-321.
- McLaughlin, Joanne Song. 2017. “Older Workers and Age Discrimination Legislation in America in the 21st century.” The American Middle Class: An Economic Encyclopedia of Progress and Poverty. Robert S. Rycroft, ed., Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO Greenwood Press.
- Chen, Yan, Ernst Fehr, Urs Fischbacher and Peter B. Morgan (2015), Matching and Segregation: An Experimental Study, Games and Economic Behavior 90: 17-43.
- Morgan, Peter B. (2015), An Explanation of Constrained Optimization for Economists, University of Toronto Press
- “Sibling Gender and Wage Differences” (with Twisha Chatterjee) (Applied Economics, March 2018, Volume 50, Pages 1725-1745)
- “Wage-Setting Institutions and Corporate Governance” (with Matthew Dimick) (Journal of Comparative Economics, November 2016, Volume 44, Pages 854-883)
- “Asymmetric Information and Search Frictions: A Neutrality Result” (Economics Letters, October 2016, Volume 147, Pages 138-141)
- “The Impact of Macroeconomic Conditions in Childhood on Adult Labor Market Outcomes” (Economic Inquiry, July 2016, Volume 54, Pages 1425-1444)
- “Social Effects in Employer Learning: An Analysis of Siblings” (Labour Economics, January 2016, Volume 38, Pages 24-36)
- “General Training in Labor Markets: Common Value Auctions with Unobservable Investment” (Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, December 2015, Volume 120, Pages 19-45)
- "Evidence of Insider Trading before September 11th Re-examined", The 9/11 Toronto Report: International Hearings on the Events of September 11, 2001, James Gourley, editor, International Center for 9/11 Studies, 2012, pp. 129-149 [text, available at http://ithp.org/articles/septemberinsidertrading.html, edited without consulting its author] and 405-408.
- "Marxist Political Economy without Hegel: Contrasting Marx and Luxemburg with Plekhanov and Lenin", The Legacy of Rosa Luxemburg, Oskar Lange and Michał Kalecki, Volume 1 of Essays in Honour of Tadeusz Kowalik, Riccardo Bellofiore, Ewa Karwowski and Jan Toporowski, editors, Palgrave Macmillan, Houndmills, Basingstoke,Hampshire, England, 2014, pp. 58-77.
- "Value: Marx’s Evolution and Luxemburg’s Legacy", Rosa Luxemburg: A Permanent Challenge for Political Economy, Judith Dellheim and Frieder Otto Wolf, eds., Palgrave Macmillan, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire, England, 2016, pp. 55-91.
- “Late Marx and the Conception of ‘Accumulation of Capital’”, Confronting Capital in the 21st Century: Lessons from Marx’s Capital, Palgrave McMillan, Mark Silver, forthcoming, July, 2019.
- "Accumulation of Capital", The Elgar Companion to Marxist Economics, Ben Fine and Alfredo Saad-Filho, editors, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, U.K., 2012, pp. 5-9.
- "Materialized Composition of Capital and its Stability in the United States: Findings Stimulated by Paitaridis and Tsoulfidis (2012)", Review of Radical Political Economy, Vol. 47, No. 1, Winter 2015, pp. 106-111 (OnlineFirst published on March 10, 2014).
- (in Chinese) "Marxist Political Economy without Hegel: Contrasting Marx with Plekhanov and Lenin", translated by Wang Chengjun and Lizhi, Social Science Journal, 2015, No. 4, pp. 5-13.
- (in Chinese) “Value: Marx’s Evolution and Luxemburg’s Legacy”, Marxism Research at Peking University, 2016, pp. 293-325.
- (in Chinese) “Late Marx and the ‘Accumulation of Capital’”, translated by Wang Chengjun, Modern Philosophy, 2017, No. 150 (January).