Language Degrees and Minors

The Department of Linguistics offers instruction in many different languages.* Students may earn a BA or Minor degree in Chinese, German, Japanese, or Korean.  A minor is available in American Sign Language.  Our non-degree-granting language options include at least one year of language instruction, and in many cases two or more.


All students interested in taking a course in a language of which they already have some knowledge should consult the Department of Linguistics Language Placement Policies.

Proficiency Evaluations for Language Requirement

Students who wish to satisfy the UB language requirement by demonstrating proficiency in one of the languages offered by the Department of Linguistics should contact the Director of Language Programs. Students who are proficient in a language that is not offered should contact the CAS Student Advisement and Services office.

Language Degree Options

Apply Today

Contact Us

*Instruction in several other European languages is offered by the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures.