Prof. Porto-Hannes was born and raised in Bogota, Colombia. Her love for aquatic systems has taken her to many places. Her career started in the ocean, then she ventured upstream and ended up in the Great Lakes, where she currently works. Her research focuses on improvement of water quality through the conservation and restoration of aquatic keystone species such freshwater mussels of the order Unionida.
Freshwater mussel conservation, Aquatic Restoration, Limnology
- Porto-Hannes I, Sassoubre L, Sansom B, Morris TJ. 2023. Applying environmental DNA methods and modeling to inform detection of rare and threatened species under varying water velocities in a river. Journal: Freshwater Mollusk Biology and Conservation, in press.
- MacGuigan DJ, Porto-Hannes I, Foote B, Backenstose NJ, Osborne C, Louisor K, Waterman H, Chang SL, Cochran JL, Krabbenhoft TJ. 2023. Spotty distributions: Spotted Gar (Lepisosteus oculatus) and Spotted Sucker (Minytrema melanops) range expansion in eastern Lake Erie. Journal of Great Lakes Research, 49(4): 931-940. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2023.05.009
- Porto-Hannes I, Burlakova LE, Lasker HR. 2022. Genetic isolation and homogenization: Potential effects of landscape features on the population genetic structure of freshwater mussels, Journal of Great Lakes Research: 48(4): 1032-1041. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2022.05.013
- Porto-Hannes I, McNichols-O’Rourke K, Goguen M, Fang M, Morris TJ. 2021. Sampling protocol for the freshwater mussel Simpsonaias ambigua (Salamander Mussel) in Canada. Can. Tech. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 3411: vii + 60 p. https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/41001023.pdf
- Porto-Hannes I, Burlakova LE, Zanatta DT, Lasker HR. 2021. Boundaries and hybridization in a secondary contact zone between freshwater mussel species (Family: Unionidae). Heredity: 126(6): 955-973
- Lasker HR, Porto-Hannes I . 2020. Species level identification of octocoral recruits identifies multiple pathways to success on Caribbean reefs. Journal: Coral Reefs, 4: 41-51
- Porto-Hannes I, Burlakova LE, Karatayev AY, Lasker HR. 2019. Molecular phylogeny, biogeography, and conservation status of the Texas-endemic freshwater mussel Lampsilis bracteata (Bivalvia, Unionidae). Zootaxa, 4652.3:442-456
- Lasker HR, Porto-Hannes I. 2015. Population structure among octocoral adults and recruitment identifies scale dependent patterns of population isolation in the Bahamas. PeerJ 3:e1019; DOI 10.7717/peerj.1019
- Porto-Hannes I, Zubillaga AL, Shearer T, Bastidas C, Salazar C, Coffroth MA, Szmant AM. 2015. Population Structure of the corals Orbicella faveolata and Acropora palmata in the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System with comparisons over Caribbean basin-wide spatial scale. Marine Biology, 162:81-98
- Shearer TL, Porto I, Zubillaga AL. 2009. Restoration of coral populations in light of genetic diversity estimates. Coral Reefs, 28(3): 727-733
For a complete list and PDF's