Bio majors performing research in a UB department other than Biological Sciences may petition to receive lab or elective credit towards the major.
In order to receive lab or elective credit all of the following must apply:
- Research must be hypothesis-driven and laboratory- or field-based. This includes wet lab benchwork (but not simply making solutions, stocking supplies, etc.), field research, and bioinformatics research, but not patient/participant surveys, data entry, or literature reviews.
- You must be registered for undergraduate research (XXX 498) in the department in which you are performing the research.
- In order to receive major credit for a lab course, you must be registered for a minimum of two (2) credits or a maximum of three (3) credits of XXX 498. This corresponds to a minimum of six (6) or nine (9) hours of research per week for one semester.
At the completion of your research, you must email the Biological Sciences Research Coordinator, Dr. Sehgal (firstname.lastname@example.org) an abstract that includes the following:
- Author names including everyone who participated in the research, including you, your research supervisor, and the P.I. of the lab if your supervisor and P.I. are not the same person.
- Department in which research was completed.
- Abstract that states the goals of the research, the specific hypothesis you were testing - if this is different from the goal of the research – the experimental approach, the results, and your conclusion(s).
- Figure showing data or results of your data analysis.
- Caption for figure.
- Everything, including figure and caption, must fit onto one page.
Have your research supervisor review your abstract before emailing it to Dr. Sehgal, and remember, it must fit onto one page! Credit will apply after your grade has been posted and your abstract has been is approved.