Undergraduate Admissions

The Department of Music offers two bachelor's degree programs for undergraduate students. The Bachelor of Music degree in Music Performance (MusB) provides a comprehensive program of study, including music theory, music history, and instrumental and vocal performance. The Bachelor of Arts degree (BA), combined with other areas of study, prepares students for further study in music and music-related careers. The Academic Minor and Performance Minor both provide supplemental music instruction that supports a variety of career paths.

Music majors and minors may receive private instruction in all standard orchestral instruments, as well as piano, organ, harpsichord, classical guitar and voice. Instructors include faculty artists and members of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.

How to Apply

1. Complete the below application form

2. Students applying for the MusB in Performance or Performance Minor degrees must also request an audition date as part of this form. Please see the audition schedule for open dates. BA in Music and Academic Minor applicants need audition only if instrument or voice lessons will be a part of the degree program. 

3. If necessary, schedule an audition by completing the audition request form. The form can be found on the "audition" page here

There is no fee to apply to the Department of Music's undergraduate degree tracks. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. 

Letters of Recommendation

In addition to the application, prospective students must contact two (2) people who can attest to their past academic and/or musical performance skills. Ask the individuals to submit a Letter of Recommendation* to ubMusic-rec@buffalo.edu or via postal mail to:

        Student Programs Office
        The Department of Music
        226 Baird Hall, North Campus
        Buffalo, NY 14260-5030

*Please note that applications will not be reviewed until both Letters of Recommendation have been received. 

Please contact Nicole Rosen, Department of Music Academic Advisor, with questions about the application process.